HISTORY OF LINCOLN
Our town was almost named "Vincentville"!
In 1860, Wiley Vincent was the first settler to the location now known as Lincoln, Missouri. By 1867, there was one general store, a post office, blacksmith shop, saddle tree shop and one church. After much discussion and debate, it was decided in 1869 to incorporate and name the new town Lincoln in reverence and high regard for President Abraham Lincoln.
In 1871, the town of Lincoln was first surveyed by James A. Harvey, the county surveyor. Because of Lincoln's location at the edge of the prairie and the beginning of the Ozarks, it seemed an ideal place to have the best of both worlds . . . very productive grazing land coupled with abundant hunting and fishing. The stage route from Sedalia to Springfield, (Old 65 Ave. located in the west part of town), brought many visitors to Lincoln and many of them decided to stay. Early Lincoln was well noted for the manufacture of saddle trees, the Grist Mills and a weekly newspaper, "The Plain Dealer", was published for many years. Close on the heels of the merchants came the first wave of families. Many Germans, new arrivals from Europe, were the first to settle. At that time, the town was divided into north and south Lincoln, the southern portion being almost entirely German. The first school was built in 1889. It was a one room affair in which a woman was paid $18.00 per month to teach all grades.
These Lincoln men served our country in the Civil War. Photo was taken on
October 8, 1923.
The above photo was taken May 1, 1913. It was the Lincoln switchboard and was located west of the old Boehmer building.
Dr. Cuddy and Dr. Bennet had their offices upstairs. During 1950, Martha Hale was the switchboard operator in the telephone office. Any special event in town was advertised by here calling out over the country telephone lines. She was also helpful in giving you the correct time. Persons would leave word where they could be reached if they were expecting a call and had to be away from their telephone.
Opening of rail traffic with the coming of the Sedalia, Warsaw and Southwestern (S.W. & S.R ) Railroad in the late 1880's marked the end of the riverboat travel on the Osage River. By 1880, much of the produce moving into markets from Benton County's 1,933 improved farms was shipped over this railroad. This S.W. & S.R. Railway served the area for the several years in which railroads played such an important role in the country's history. Then, like many other small lines, it folded with the advent of overland truck travel into the transportation field.
On August 31, 1946, some local Lincoln folks took the last train ride before the rail service was discontinued. The train served many purposes for the citizens of Lincoln. It hauled goods, minerals, grains and folks to and from Lincoln. Some consider the discontinuation of the train service in Lincoln as a landmark event marking a new beginning of bigger and better transportation. For others, it was a sad event which closed an era of an uncomplicated life. The train serviced the 42 mile route since 1879.
Long-time Lincoln citizens smile when remembering the General Store once located on the corner of Market St. and Main St. Through the years it was known to many as the following; The Brill and Wisdom Store from 1889 to 1946, The Attwood and Henry Store from 1947 to 1977 and The Old Country Store from 1978 to 1986.
The Brill & Wisdom Store.
This Lincoln landmark was so important and special to the Lincoln Community that it was featured on a television show seen on PBS in the early 1990's called "The Good Old Days". In 1993 was torn down due to its bad condition, but the history lives on in our memories.